Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Meryl's Globe prospects


At the top of the year, I brazenly forecasted a victory for Meryl Streep at the 66th Golden Globe awards.  The Golden Globe is essentially the Meryl Streep Award; she has won a staggering six times! I reasoned that if she had momentum for and possibility of an awards sweep for her role as Sister Alyosius, that she would win for Doubt.  If Doubt flopped, then it seemed obvious that she would cement her status as the actress with the most Globe wins even further by winning trophy number seven for Mamma Mia!, effectively breaking her tie with Jack Nicholson as the thespian with the most citations.
As more competitors have emerged in the Best Actress categories, I have become doubtful that Meryl Streep will win her seventh Globe this year. But like everyone else with even the most rudimentary sense of this year's competition, I am predicting that barring a huge upset, Meryl Streep will be cited in another two shortlists at the Golden Globes for Doubt and Mamma Mia!  When this happens, she will eclipse Jack Lemmon's record for the most Globe nominations.  So I'm excited!
Right now, I am predicting that Kate Winslet will win her first Globe for Revolutionary Road in the Drama race, and that Sally Hawkins will snag the award in the Musical/Comedy arena for Happy-Go-Lucky.  Now that Anne Hathaway has received placement in the Drama category for Rachel Getting Married, the field in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy category is even less competitive and I get this nagging feeling that Meryl could upset Sally Hawkins for the win.   

1 comment:

Cate said...

I LOVE Meryl Streep! I think she's amazing.